Saturday, April 30, 2011

What I Did Today

Since we arrived back in December, there's one thing I've really, really wanted to do. Today, I finally got to do it. I got to PET A WALLABY AND A KANGAROO!!!


Larry and I headed to Featherdale Wilderness Park where the wallabies and kangaroos (at least the not endangered ones) hop around freely.  What a sight to see!  We of course purchased the food, served in ice cream cones, and braved the compound.


Wallabies are simply adorable.  And the Koalas....! Well, take a gander at these shots.  Yes, the Koalas in the picture are real.  And yes, my husband is rabbit-earing the Koala.



As adorable as the wallabies, kangaroos, and koalas were, the Cassowary was aggressive.  I leaned on the fence to take its picture, and it lunged for the park map in my hand. Yes, it lunged, as you can see from this picture:


After it grabbed the map, it pecked at it a bit then swooped it up from the ground, folded it in half with its beak, and swallowed it down whole.  Couldn't believe my eyes.  Hope it doesn't get sick from it.

The Tasmanian Devil ran around in circles, over and over again, lap after lap, in the track it had been working on for quite a while, judging from the track.



We admired the dingoes, the dozens of birds, and the reptiles.  We saw some of the most poisonous snakes in the world, safely behind glass.  I hope I never see them anywhere else!

No comments:

Post a Comment