Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Small Victories

Confronted with nothing much to eat for lunch, Nicole and I drove the short distance to the center of our village, Roseville.  We visited the little grocery store (mentioned in blog post on 27 Dec), which does indeed seem to be a little Italian store - imported pasta, olive oil, and, most importantly, TOMATO PASTE.  I have purchased 4 cans of Annalisa Concentrato di Pomodoro and hope to make a pot of sauce sometime this week.  The owner is of Italian descent (he told me how he used to help his mother make tomato paste of the tiled roof when he was a boy) with an Australian accent.  I told him I used to help my father make sausage, and we bonded.

Nicole and I then ventured to the Roseville Cafe for lunch.  It is a small, local cafe, right across from the train station. Every 20 minutes or so, an influx of patrons floods the cafe for take-away.  There are a few tables outside for al fresco dining. Nicole and I ate inside so we could study the menu, admire the desserts, and quietly people watch.  Food?  Sandwiches and salads, solidly tasty.

One more exploration brought us to the Roseville Post Office.  WOW.  American post offices have got nothing on their Australian cousins.  This post office had placemats, calendars, mugs, gifts of all sorts, in addition to the standard post office accoutrements.  The gent behind the counter very kindly explained that the post office is the only place to buy stamps.  And that any parcel over 450g is charged $9 when sent to America - a security fee.  Nicole wants to assemble a package of Australian goodies for her friends, and the local Milk Bar and News Agent will be the perfect places to obtain said goodies.  These are two other stores in our village center.

With my trusty navigator at my side (she had instructions to periodically remind me to "stay left"), we headed back onto the open road to drive the mile or two so back home.  Where we arrived unscathed and left no bumpers or rearview mirrors behind us.

Perhaps tomorrow I'll brave the Pacific Highway and visit the women's fitness studio I found online.

Small victories, people. Small victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment